We’ve discussed this before but I think we all assumed that by now, someone, somewhere would have found a gigantic airplane full of people that disappeared a week ago. Nope. They haven’t.
There’s nothing BUT Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 on the national news really. We’re all being bombarded with the possibilities of what happened to this missing flight every minute of the past week. Since Eve and I really wanted the purpose of Slow News Day to be an extension of the shit we IM about every day, let’s forgo the facts and discuss the theories.
1. Did it crash into the ocean due to a mechanical problem or pilot error, and it’s just sunk really deep and no one has found it yet? But when they do find it, there will be a sad yet reasonable explanation for this tragedy, much like the Air France flight from Brazil that crashed due to human error? This is the boring theory that I (and Bill Nye the Science Guy) believe to be true.
2. Did terrorists deliberately blow-up or crash the airplane? If so, why is no terrorist organization claiming credit? And why this particular airplane?
3. Did the pilot commit suicide/murder? Even if this were the case, where’s the plane?
4. Did the plane land on a remote island and is, for some reason, unable to communicate with ANYONE ELSE ON EARTH EVER?
5. Why do some of the plane’s passengers still appear to be online? Apparently, social media is showing some of them as being available, although I know that often when I am out and about and off Facebook, it looks like I’m still online. I’m not! Sometimes I leave the house! Anyway, I think this one can be explained by hopeful families and wishful thinking. These people are not checking out Facebook statuses instead of contacting anyone.
6. Were aliens involved? (No.)
I think everyone on board that airplane is dead. I think they died when the airplane crashed. My friend Colin shared with me a really interesting article on plane crashes that the Awl published, listing major disasters and what it says about air travel. Basically, the era of planes crashing is pretty much over, and when they do, there’s a really obvious and fixable reason.
Far more importantly, what do you think happened to the missing airplane? And are you as obsessed as I am? Let’s discuss in the comments, please.