American Idol runner-up, gay dad, and plain-spoken ginger from The Deep South, Clay Aiken is running for what he believes to be Congress in North Carolina’s 2nd Congressional District. Before we discuss, you need to watch this video. Please do your best to get through all 5 minutes.
1. That house is pretty adorable, even with a privacy tarp.
2. Who talked him into doing this? Seriously. Picture the collection of North Carolinians and/or Claymates that honestly and sincerely convinced Clay F****** Aiken to run for the United States House of Representatives. And ask yourself how many of them are currently raising rabbits in their backyard while getting free drink refills at Subway using an old Subway cup.
3. The winner of Clay Aiken’s season of American Idol (Season 2, I think. I don’t know. I’m not a virgin) was Ruben Studdard, who recently appeared on The Biggest Loser. He didn’t appear on The Celebrity Biggest Loser. Ruben appeared on The Regular People Biggest Loser. So even if he’s running as a gay, Democrat, male-vocalist in Republican North Carolina, at least Clay Aiken is doing better than the guy who beat him on American Idol.
4. To vote Clay Aiken for Congress, just text “VOTECLAY” to 1-800-CONGRESS.
5. If he wins, and I think we’re all praying that he does because while Clay Aiken is not qualified to be a Congressperson, neither is anyone else in North Carolina, will Clay sing “Mary Did You Know” at Christmas in the capitol? Yes.
6. In doing research (ha) for this article (ha), I came across the video for the Clay Aiken song “Invisible” which I completely forgot that I USED TO LOVE. It’s been 11 years, but I still apparently know every word to this song. In fact, this post would have been up 15 minutes sooner, but I was dancing around my house. OMG, Invisible. I love this song. Clay for Congress!